Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 251

Thread: Wise county consolidations

  1. #161
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise county consolidations

    Yes, pride is part of it........but the biggest reason for not consolodating is the economic impact it will have on these three communities. We live in a part of Virginia that heavily relies on the revenue of our community schools. If you take the schools away......then you take a huge portion of their economy. By the way, the word I have is that the board is divided 4-4 with one swing vote. She could vote either way. This board member has a stake in this, too, because she hase children in the system now. I say that if she abstains, then the proposal will be nullified and Basham will be out on his ass by the end of the month.

  2. #162
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise county consolidations

    Economic impact? To me economic impact will be the folks in a working-class part of Virginia having to pay twice to fix a problem.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  3. #163
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise county consolidations

    That's how I feel about the DC situation as well When I was at Clintwood I took Physics, Calculus and 3 years of Computer Programming(to bad there was no spelling courses avalable LOL) none of those courses exist in Clintwood anymore (And having taken courses via Eltronic classroom in the past I can say unless it has changed alot it is a joke and the kids really get the shaft in that situation). I have never been a big band fan in the past but I took my 7 year old daughter to a Football game last year vs Nortion and she was amazed with the band and wanted to know why Clintwood did not have one. I think Clintwood teaches the core subjects as well as anyone but AP Classes are few and far between alot of the New courses that were put forth in the article will probably never happen but I know my life could would probably be very different if I had not had the chance to take Programming courses while I was in HS and who knows what difference having the opportunity to take oceanography or Sports Medason(Two of the courses mentioned in the article) Might make to the Kids in Wise County and possibly the County itself since most High Tech Companies(Not Call Centers) look closely at an areas school system before moving into an area and we all know that that is the direction wants to go

  4. #164
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Wise county consolidations

    Nothing against Kelly as in coaching. I think the world of BI it's the politics Unchained. You know me. I say what i think and some of what i know and find out.
    You know how the politics is in Wise. Most even with BI a fromer Indian was against him getting the coaching job.
    That is what i was pointing out.

    The other thing. What some others have said. Not all of Wise County's schools were given the opportunity for AP classes. Many questioned why?
    I said it's in the plans. What schools offer the most AP classes. Kelly, PV and Coeburn. Im not exactly sure at what extents Coeburn is. But more than most i believe.
    Some just said what do you mean. I said 2003 was just the starting point. It was leaked out, and on purpose, to get a feel for how hard this issue would be to push through.

    But my main issue is this plan is flawed. You cannot renovate and have school also and as Dukefan said. Classrooms in trailers? While your trying to renovate old buildings?
    And i've seen the consolidated school at T.V. it is great, one thing that honestly got my attention.
    So i came back and said.
    I can go with this idea if it is done correctly. Then you start asking questions and people go wild. Then you find out things you wish you never knew.
    As i said, im for consolidation if done right. 3 brand new schools. Is that to much to ask for our kids? So their kids our grandchildren will not have to do this again.

    I'll say if it does get in grid lock. 4-4 then come November who knows what will happen? New board members? And still nothing done. As i said right now Wise County stands on the threshold to do something good.
    I have seen good. And i want that for our Children. But not the way this is being laid out.

    But as far as Kelly. I used the coaching as an example of how things are done. You know yourself bro. had it been a little different, some would of said no to BI. That is life in politics, not who you are, or where you are from. Or if your the right choice.
    Most have problems with Rich Boucher's voting record. Yet ask a few who they want there. Rich Boucher, why because he knows how to get the job done and bring things to SWVA. And he knows how to work with the people. Something we have not had with this SB or AD. Many will say well it's becauese of the citizens, and yes maybe so, but why. When you are told straight out. Consolidation has never been discussed. Then a board member says yes it has.
    Someone is lying? That makes it hard to wonder who is working for what is right.

    What is right. 3 brand new schools for our Children. No trailers, no renovation. 3 new schools state of the art. That will take us hopefully well into 50 more yrs. and some maintenance plans that will see their taken care of. And a fund that depreciates these new schools, so money is always put back to fund any projects needed.

    Do what is right for once and for our Children.

  5. #165
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise county consolidations

    LPD, I agree with what you say. The 3 school is the best solution. As to why AP classes are where they are, PV, Kelly and Coeburn, well, those are the 3 biggest schools, it makes sense to offer more where more benefit. I do however think that they should be available to all and like Counts said, those electronic classrooms are a joke, and Bashams proposal, is a joke.

    I'll call a spade a spade when there is official information to base things on. I'll be as critical of how government is done, but if you think that is limited to the Wise area or Wise County, you are sorely mistaken. Trust me, thats national and for that matter international I would guess, but to every level. It's tough to find people who are not set in their ways or who get into a position and don't owe 1000 favors to people.

    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  6. #166
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Wise county consolidations

    In all honesty i apologize for my earlier remarks Rocketer.
    But i to have a stake in this. As a tax payer and later as a grandfather.
    I want this done right, let's do it right, pay for it one time. 3 new schools. Money put back in to a depreciation fund to upkeep 3 new schools and let our kids be able to enjoy them.
    And all have a sense of this is my school.
    Not i don't fit in here.
    Anything that is new starts off with anxiety and fear at times. But also doing what is right and making it right, it easies those fears and that anxiety.
    I would rather see our kids in an atmosphere, where they feel it's our school, instead of were the outsiders, anyone who has been there or in that situation. You know what i am saying.
    We talking to day mostly are grown ups. But were talking about kids, kids who have battled on the same fields and courts, that have bitter rivals with some. Yet your put them into a school with them, and ask that they dont' feel, well unwanted and unwelcome.
    Want a new beginng? Want better education and something that will work?
    3 new schools with all having time to adjust to it. And maybe you will see something great.
    And as many say. How can you continue classes with renovation going on. Trailers only compound the problem even if you try that. And it is just not acceptable.
    As i have said. Just do for once what is right and acceptable.
    Don't do it based on this or that. Do it for our Children and our Grandchildren to come. Don't make us have to redo this again in 20 yrs. and don't cause uneeded anxiety and stress to the kids now.

    Just do what is right and what is best for Wise County Schools and It's Children.

  7. #167
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise county consolidations

    I think that is what the citizans should be working touard IMHO it should not be a "Save our School at all cost" and the SB should not being tring to squeaze every nickel now if it will cost more in the future......

    One of the SB Member was quoated at saying you should not fix a system that is not Broken and I agree that there should not be a great rush to implement any change however if you have a car and the engion starts missing chances are you can continue to drive the car but you should probabable lookinto fixing the problem or replaceing the car depending on the situation if you turn up the radio and ignore the problem bad things will happen

  8. #168
    Inactive Member imported_ndn10's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    749
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise county consolidations

    here at jjk, they handed out the press realease to the teachers. i read it an basically said that he wants pound, appy and stpaul to be closed. the number for the schools r as followed. jjk/phs-756, pv/appy-684, and chs/sphs-552. that would put coeburn in A, pv straddling the line of AA and A, and jjk a solid AA. If they amke the LPD an AA school then coeburn would be the smallest in the district. and jjk will be the biggest along with Lee and Abingdon


    I am 100 times more open minded than most on here about the topics we talk about.-Raider13

  9. #169
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise county consolidations

    LPD, I agree with the 3 schools. Thats been what I've actually said sounded good the entire time...from day 1.

    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  10. #170
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Wise county consolidations

    I think we both have agreed on that. Only problem is.
    Will those who have the final say. Vote for what is right? Will they push the issue and make it right?
    That is where the questions lay.
    And that is what worries me, doing it right, or making a huge mistake.
    And i will say this. This is an emotional issue for many. If i have offended anyone, i apologize.
    But all i want is what is best for our Children.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •